Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Réquiem ætérnam dona eis, Dómine.

A death of a grandparent of a friend the other day reminded me of past days of my youth, when to my mind, my grandparents were all-wise and powerful (they could even tell Mom and Dad what to do). I used to wonder how I could ever be so wise, let alone so old. Today, reflecting on what I owe them, as well as how I can be like them, I realize I have a long way to go. There is great hope and fear attached to that realization. The fear, of course, must be that I could fail. The hope, though also a fear: the venerable man I could be I am becoming with every choice and thought I have. Now that is scary thought. I don't mean that I define my essence, as an existentialist would hold. Rather, every choice, with its formation of my will, and every thought and the formation of my intellect; who I am now, with what I do now will make me as a man the father of the elder, just as the child is the father of the man. May we all recollect this, and the immense debt we owe our forerunners.

No comments: