Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Glories of Polyphony

Jeffrey Tucker has a great piece over at New Liturgical Movement, where he discusses what separates polyphony from all other liturgical music. I know that for me, when I first heard well done polyphony, I felt as if I was in heaven.  It certainly was an amazing experience.  At mass, I had heard various harmonized music, and some chant, which I thought beautiful, but nothing could prepare me for hearing polyphony as a part of the liturgy.  The piece was William Byrd's "Ave verum corpus" and I heard it after communion at mass early in my freshman year in college.  From then on, it was merely a matter of time until I succumbed and joined the choir.  The rest is history, as I regularly perform sacred polyphony for Sunday liturgy, as well as for the occasional wedding.  It truly has changed the way I worship at mass, and deepened my involvement in the liturgical life of the Church.

-Amator

No comments: